Fine lines and wrinkles can age the face beyond our years. We would like to look our best, but we may not need the dramatic results that typically come from plastic surgery. For those that are looking for a minor touch-up, Dr. Christopher J. Kovanda, a specialist in Minneapolis plastic surgery, can offer a quick and easy solution. Dr. Kovanda offers patients quick treatments such as BOTOX® Cosmetic and Restylane® to give your skin a smoother and more youthful appearance. What is the difference between the two treatments? Dr. Kovanda can discuss these options with you, but here is a quick overview.
BOTOX® Cosmetic is medically known as clostridium botulinum. It is true that, in large amounts, this toxin can cause botulism. However, in small, diluted amounts, it can be used to our advantage. During a treatment, the solution is injected into specific muscles. The BOTOX® Cosmetic blocks signals from the nerves to the muscles. This prevents the muscles from contracting and allows wrinkles to relax and soften. If you are considering BOTOX® treatment, you should keep in mind the following:
- BOTOX® treatment takes only a few minutes and does not require the use of anesthesia.
- You can expect to see full results within three to seven days after undergoing treatment.
- The effects can be expected to last for four to six months.
- Temporary bruising is the most common side effect of BOTOX® Cosmetic. In rare instances a headache may occur but this should resolve itself within a day or two.
- BOTOX® Cosmetic is not recommended for women who are pregnant, breastfeeding, or those who have a neurological condition.
Schedule a Consultation
If you’d like to discuss Botox®, schedule an appointment with Dr. Christopher J. Kovanda. Dr. Kovanda takes his time at each consultation to make sure that all questions are answered and each patient leaves feeling secure in the decision they have made regarding treatment.