Facial Plastic Surgery Alternatives: BOTOX® Cosmetic vs. Restylane®
- Posted on: Jul 18 2012
Fine lines and wrinkles can age the face beyond our years. We would like to look our best, but we may not need the dramatic results that typically come from plastic surgery. For those that are looking for a minor touch-up, Dr. Christopher J. Kovanda, a specialist in Minneapolis plastic surgery, can offer a quick and easy solution. Dr. Kovanda offers patients quick treatments such as BOTOX® Cosmetic and Restylane® to give your skin a smoother and more youthful appearance. What is the difference between the two treatments? Dr. Kovanda can discuss these options with you, but here is a quick overview.
BOTOX® Cosmetic is medically known as clostridium botulinum. It is true that, in large amounts, this toxin can cause botulism. However, in small, diluted amounts, it can be used to our advantage. During a BOTOX® treatment, the solution is injected into specific muscles. The BOTOX® Cosmetic blocks signals from the nerves to the muscles. This prevents the muscles from contracting and allows wrinkles to relax and soften. If you are considering BOTOX® treatment, you should keep in mind the following:
- BOTOX® treatment takes only a few minutes and does not require the use of anesthesia.
- You can expect to see full results within three to seven days after undergoing treatment.
- The effects of BOTOX® Cosmetic can be expected to last for four to six months.
- Temporary bruising is the most common side effect of BOTOX® Cosmetic. In rare instances a headache may occur but this should resolve itself within a day or two.
- BOTOX® Cosmetic is not recommended for women who are pregnant, breastfeeding, or those who have a neurological condition.
Restylane® contains hyaluronic acid. Restylane® is a filler injection and the hyaluronic acid draws fluid to the treated area. A filler injection such as Restylane® is applied under the skin and puffs up the area to reduce the appearance of wrinkles or pitted scars. Restylane® can also be used in your lips to give them a fuller appearance. When considering the use of Restylane®, keep in mind the following:
- A Restylane® treatment takes about fifteen minutes. In some instances, your skin may be numbed with a local anesthetic.
- For up to 36 hours after treatment you may experience redness, swelling, itching or minor pain.
- Repeat sessions may be required to see the full results of Restylane® treatment.
- The results from Restylane® can be expected to last from nine to twelve months.
- Possible complications from filler injections include infection, bruising, bleeding, and allergic reaction.
Schedule a Consultation
Dr. Kovanda is ready to help you look your best. He can answer any questions you may have about BOTOX® Cosmetic or Restylane® and help you decide which treatment is best for you. If you are looking for more dramatic results, Dr. Kovanda may recommend to his patients in Minneapolis eyelid surgery, facelift, browlift, or other surgical procedures that can meet your specific desires. A consultation is free so contact us today and be on the road to a more youthful and glowing appearance.
Posted in: Blog